‘buzzwords’ and phrases I am sick of hearing

Maybe I am too old, I am avoiding saying 'too experienced', but I am getting sick and tired of hearing these ‘buzzwords’, jargons, and phrases …
  • User Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Customer Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Buyer Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Prosumer Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Product Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Brand Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Service Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Consumer-grade Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Client-grade Experience / Expectation / Design
  • Enterprise-grade Experience / Expectation / Design

Does just one ‘word’ or ‘phrase’ helps you to do your job better or even sell your service better?
Do you really think you can separately design for these experiences and expectations? 

As long as all these terms and definitions are on the one hand so enormously overlapping, spanning, convoluted, encapsulated and on the other hand narrowly conceived or defined I think more often than before it’s less helpful for the communication than helpful to sell and to charge for another deliverable.


Even though the growing interest in user experience, it has been hard to gain a common agreement and understanding on the nature and scope of user experience. And that’s why I wonder whether it’s helpful having this exponential growth of whatever-it-should-cover experiences.
Perhaps it's the reason for this enormous growth of 'labels'.
I think most of the UX guys might agree that UX is dynamic, context-dependent, and subjective. With respect to the more controversial issues, I propose to delineate user experience as something individual that emerges from interacting with a product, system, service or an object as well as the various forms of people.

Whatever we are designing, we are uniquely positioned to influence the behavior of other people, for good or ill. Our employers or clients charge us with responsibility for not only defining a design problem from multiple perspectives, but also finding solutions that are better than the ones that came before.
When designing products the designer has to ‘juggle’ with a large number of factors and attempt to organize them in the design solution.

When I look at all these buzzwords above, I have to confess that I use these terms from time to time, but not because I think because it helps the product – just because it’s Listener Experience   :-)
My basic idea and my central principles for good design regardless of whether I designed buildings and cities in the past and virtual and digital things today are pretty easy – they are…

  • Utility
  • Usability
  • Desirability

The Oxford Dictionary defines utility as ‘the state of being useful, profitable, or beneficial’ ( http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/utility ) , and the ISO 9241-11 defines usability as ‘The extent to which a product can be used by specified users to achieve specified goals with effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction in a specified context of use.’
However, the main lesson in all of this: without usability and utility, you can't really create desirability.



My understanding of experience design is that it covers every aspect of the user's interaction with a product, service, or company that make up the user's perceptions of the whole, no matter how  online or offline. And if we talk about the product itself experience design   as a discipline is concerned with all the elements that together make up that interface, including layout, visual design, text, brand, sound, and interaction. experience design works to coordinate these elements to allow for the best possible interaction by users, either way, you call your users (in alphabetical order) …

  • Agents
  • Buyers
  • Consumers
  • Customers
  • Employees
  • Operators
  • Users
  • xyz ...

I still call myself user-experience Designer – but more for the reason why because I have no better self-explaining job title – not because I like it.
Several years ago I heard the job title UUD – Utility and Usability Designer – but the job title has not succeeded to date.

In this context I found and like to share this video ...

... the next level of Experience Design = ExFEARience
A parody video from an agency in which brands scares their audience -- seriously, it really is startling.
It's just a parody but I am sure there are a few people who will have no problems to try it.

And now I like to ask you again ...

Does just one ‘word’ or ‘phrase’ helps you to do your job better?
Do we really need all these experience titles?





Comments